Have a hard disk fail? I’ve. Here’s my story:
I put my late 2009 Apple Mac laptop Professional to rest late one Saturday evening. Being late during the night I did not own the time, or persistence to allow my computer fully go to sleep and also have the little light right in front blink, showing it choose to go to rest. I leaped the gun and rotated my computer onto its right side, hard disk still spinning. An absolute NO, NO, based on Apple’s website. You Have To permit the hard disk disks to spin lower and wait for a light to pulsate.
The following morning I woke up, prepared to dive in to the new website I had been developing for my photography business. My Mac laptop Professional awoke without incidental and that I thought everything was ok. Then Adobe Light room did non save personal files I had been focusing on. It stated it needed a location in order to save the files I had been focusing on. I figured to myself, “you have a location you moron, it’s known as the hard disk.” I restarted when I do when everything doesn’t work right and things I saw next is seared into my thoughts.
The terrible FLASHING FOLDER and QUESTION MARK. What this means is, in Apple speak, something is wrong. I’d later own the Apple “Genius” let me know it had been my Hard disk drive. He wanted nearly $200 with tax to repair it but still I would non have the ability to recover my information without delivering my computer right into a file recovery service. Not A Way!
So, Used to do it myself and also got all my data back for under $100. Here’s how:
1. Order a alternative Hard disk drive from New egg, or Amazon . com. I’d a Seagate 500gb 2.5 SATAN 7,200 revolt ions per minute therefore I changed it with similar drive.
2. Also order a sled. A sled is essentially a Hard disk drive enclosure, which enables you to definitely make your own outside Hard disk drive. Amazon . Com is another good way of these.
3. You’ll also require a group of small screwdrivers, a #00 Phillips screwdriver on with a T6 tor screwdriver. These can be found in sets from Amazon . Com, Best To Buy, etc.
4. Place your Mac laptop Professional on the static-free work surface and make certain to the touch something metal before touching the computer components. This can discharge any static.
5. Transform it upside lower and take away all the screws, taking note where all of them go.
6. The hard disk is situated astatine the base right, when the laptop is facing from you. Unscrew the black climb bracket on top of the hard disk.
7. Pull the hook up cable in the right side from the drive, CAREFULLY.
8. Unscrew some climbing screws in the drive and put to one for reds.
9. Unpack your brand-new hard disk and screw within the 4 climb screws towards the new drive.
10. Attach the hooking up cable towards the new Hard disk drive.
11. Do in the mounting bracket.
12. Put cover back on your Mac laptop Professional and replace screws.
13. Turn your pc over and press the energy button.
14. Place you Mac OS install disk. Hold lower the energy before the computer turns off after which press it to show it back on while holding lower the C key in your keyboard.
15. You’re going to get the install screen for OS X. Click DISK UTILITY in the menu and choose the brand new Hard disk drive. Choose erase and make as numerous partitions as you would like. I just use one. Title this new partition Mac HAD.
16. You have a formatted disk. Return to the primary menu and stick to the prompts to set up OS X on your new hard disk. You will find the choice to use a backup from Time Machine astatine this time.
17. When the OS continues to be re-installed, plug your sledge to your old Hard disk drive and plug the USB cable to your computer. Whether it mounts and turns up inside your finder you’ve got a pretty good possibility of recuperating some, or all your information. Just drag your files out of your old Hard disk drive on your brand new one.